Re: I think you'll find the ban covers more than just work phones
"What new toys are there?" is just one datum of a rather large set of data that I would be worried about. Here are a few that come to mind immediately:
- What is the general morale of the force?
- What about an individual might be used to suborn that person?
- How rigorous is the training of units expected to be deployed against us?
- Which individuals occupy critical positions to the functioning of units expected to be deployed against us?
(Think critical infrastructure, as well as command positions. Fuel, IT, ammo, food, spares...)
- What is the activation posture of units expected to be deployed against us?
- Which high-value individuals have routines that would allow them to be easily neutralized?
- What is the level of maintenance of equipment likely to be deployed against us?
And of course, the evolution of any of the above over time is a big deal as well. Folks in DC knew, for instance, that Desert Storm was about to kick off when pizza deliveries to the Pentagon spiked one evening...
As I said, off the top of my head. And no, I've never worked in any threat intelligence field.