Reply to post: Re: I'll never really understand...

2 more degrees and it's lights out: Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix's toasty mobile bit barn

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: I'll never really understand...

Business travel is over-rated. You've always got some place to be - and so you're rarely doing anything interesting. And while eating out is nice with friends, it's nice because it's a change from your normal everyday dining. When you're away for 5 days each "race weekend" (i.e. a week) - 21 times a year (23 this season) - then the charm wears off rapidly.

Plus hotel rooms are just too small - not that F1 crew probably spend much time in theirs - they've got to unpack and re-assemble and test 2 cars, plus setting up servers and the pit area - then take it all down again afterwards and re-pack it. Plus fix the car overnight, if the driver is so careless as to put it into a wall at 200mph, or if the engine decides to blow up of its own accord.

Then a few times a season they have back-to-back races in say Singapore and China - where they never go home, but fly all the kit out to one, then move straight to the other. So they're actually away from home for 2 weeks.

I'm sure it's great fun if you love it, but if you don't it probably gets really fucking annoying, really quickly. Not to mention all the time away from the family.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020