I've lived a considerable amount of time in Brussels and the correct way of cooking them indeed involves bacon, but try this recipe next time:
* Parboil the sprouts
* In a pan with just a few drops of your choice of vegetable oil, slowly cook some fat bacon until it's crunchy
* Remove the bacon
* In the hot bacon fat that's now left in your pot, stir-fry the parboiled sprouts until nearly done
* Add the bacon and some finely chopped shallots back in.
* Stir until shallots are golden
* Finish off with some ground pepper and nutmeg
* Serve with boiled potatoes
P.S. "some bacon" = at a minimum half the weight of the sprouts, at a maximum equal weight of bacon and sprouts
P.P.S. they just call them "sprouts" in Brussels and any other sprouts are called by their full name: soy bean sprouts, wheat sprouts, ...
P.P.P.S. Supposing the icon next to Sherlock Holmes is the Hercule Poirot one...