Reply to post: Re: Nice to read this

Cheque out my mad metal frisbee skillz... oops. Lights out!

J. Cook Silver badge

Re: Nice to read this

The parental unit had this happen to her a number of years ago. wrote a check for ten dollars, some joker at the store managed to squeeze in an extra zero on the numbers portion of the check, and cratered her bank account until she raised a giant stink with both the bank and the store in question.

my mom... was an absolute professional at the practice of kiting checks back in the 80's up to when they finally started processing checks electronically at the stores. (by 'kiting checks' meaning writing a check for more money then was currently in the account, mailing it in, and in the transit time, putting additional money into the account so it would clear when the check was processed. a classic example is writing a check for something that's due the day before payday- by the time the check gets put into the banking system, (usually a day or two), payday's come and presto, there's money in there to cover the check.)

I think the last time I wrote a check was a couple years ago. the silly things still have my old address on them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon