Reply to post: Re: Not on the wall socket

Why is the printer spouting nonsense... and who on earth tried to wire this plug?

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Not on the wall socket

it's supposed to involve testing portable devices, like laptop chargers etc.

That UPS that's too heavy to move without removing the battery? That doesn't require testing.

The definition of "portable" is a bit vague. The item I mentioned is a desktop UPS, IEC mains in, single battery, eminently hand-portable. I've always taken it to mean anything which could be moved in the general course of its use, and particularly anything which has a removable mains lead. This means things like those large wheeled air conditioners or industrial 3-phase electric heaters (we have two) do count.

You also don't need to have a qualification of any sort, you just have to be "competent".

Yes, but the courses are (relatively) cheap and if you are a small company looking to do this to save money and hassle, chances are you don't have anyone "competent" to hand. Always worth being sure.

Mind you, definitions of "competent" vary. When I did domestic sparks, the NICEIC registered me as competent based on a degree in electronics and an inspection of a couple of jobs I'd done. I also had "the regs" (C&G 2381), but they weren't hugely fussed about that. Nowadays they want quite a lot of paperwork which could easily involve several thousand pounds of college courses, and my degree doesn't seem to count for much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon