Reply to post: Re: So... is he an engineer?

When is an electrical engineer not an engineer? When Arizona's state regulators decide to play word games

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: So... is he an engineer?

"It is only after graduation that the real education begins."

Too true. I was avionics lead at a small aerospace company and the interns could be counted on to repeatedly grab the wrong end of the soldering iron. I was working with one when they dropped a screw. When I told them it was a Pan Head Phillips #4-40 stainless, 1/4" long (yes, in the US) and the stock was on my workbench in the E-lab, they looked at me like I was speaking Russian (which I do just to annoy but wasn't at the time). This person was going into their 3rd year pursuing an aeronautical engineering degree and didn't know what standard screw sizes were. I found later they also didn't know common metal alloys and forms. Sheet metal gauges (not decimal conversion, just what "gauge" meant). I turned to just giving them little projects to do that would never go on or near any spacecraft we were working on. The one thing they could do was run circles around me in Matlab. Too bad putting a bit in a drill press was a mystery.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020