Reply to post: Re: So... is he an engineer?

When is an electrical engineer not an engineer? When Arizona's state regulators decide to play word games

Electronics'R'Us Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: So... is he an engineer?

My path to chartered is interesting; the company I was working for at the time ($Big Aerospace Company) worked with one of the institutes that can confer CEng status to show that if you were at a particular level of seniority in engineering (that place was most definitely a meritocracy at least in engineering) then they had the requisite educational background.

They even paid for the chartered process and provided mentoring and coaching for the application forms.

The advantages to them included being able to show a high percentage of CEng in the engineering department(s) to potential customers on bids, and another unusual one; if a chartered engineer is called as an expert witness in the UK (for a relevant topic obviously), their status as an expert witness cannot be challenged (their testimony obviously can be).

Even though I left them a few years ago, I find that at my age, the CEng post nominals are useful so I still renew my registration each year.

I agree that using the term 'engineer' for the purpose of regulation is way too broad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020