Reply to post: Re: So... is he an engineer?

When is an electrical engineer not an engineer? When Arizona's state regulators decide to play word games

Antron Argaiv Silver badge
FAIL

Re: So... is he an engineer?

When I graduated as a Computer Systems Engineer, there was a strong push to study for, and take, the Engineer In Training (EIT) test. This is the first step on the road to becoming a Registered Professional Engineer (PE), the certification that makes you a "Real Engineer" in the minds of state governments.

I looked at the test study guide. Lots of stuff about strain, materials, thermodynamics...well, you get the picture. Stuff I had only a passing acquaintance with in my undergraduate studies. Not a single question about impedance, modulation theory, filters, data structures, or anything else I had studied. The PE test is similar, but I think it includes some electrical power transmission sections.

Realizing that the subject matter was completely out of line with what I intended to do for a living, I took a pass, and have not regretted it. The number of PEs I have met in my career can be counted on one hand. I have tremendous respect for them, thanks to them, my house and the roads and bridges I travel on are safe (well, except for those in Florida), but a PE license isn't worth much in electronics development.

My professors all had PhDs, but I do not recall even one of them mentioning that he had his PE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020