Reply to post: Contacts, anyone?

With a warehouse of unsold AR goggles, Magic Leap has a brainwave… let’s rebadge ‘em and sell to business!

Milton Silver badge

Contacts, anyone?

Interesting discussion about how glasses might be used in this territory, and I find myself wondering about contact lenses.

Haven't we solved most of the basic problems here?

* We know that flexible displays can be constructed.

* We know that it's possible to make a display material that's also transparent

* We know that we haven't reached peak pixel density yet: what DPI level would suffice for a lens-sized display?

* Contact lenses already comprise a focusing medium

* Well made and maintained ones can cover most of the cornea if necessary (especially if routinely worn for no longer than, say, 10 hrs a day)

* There's abundant technology now for short-range high-bandwidth data transit

—so the only radically new feature of this item would be its power source: maybe body heat conversion, or perhaps (if the energy requirements are low enough) some kind of localised wireless power transmission. However sci-fi that may seem, I am one of those whose boyhood rites of passage included building my own crystal radio (back in the 1960s) so I know that it's possible to extract useful energy from an AM radio signal coming from 200 miles away. How much energy does a display need if it's < 3cm away from your retina?

All the heavy CPU work would be done by the connected device in your pocket, so the lens has to do only one thing: authenticate (pair with) and display an image feed.

Maybe in 15 years my daughter will routinely ask the optician for prescription 'active' lenses, instead of old-fashioned 'passive' ones, so that she can use a cornucopia of AR content and help beamed from her phone.

(Hacking could be a problem, mind you ... and, hm, temperature regulation?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020