Reply to post: Re: Back when OpenStack was launched with NASA, you literally ...

Whoooooa, this node is on fire! Forget Ceph, try the forgotten OpenStack storage release 'Crispy'

juice

Re: Back when OpenStack was launched with NASA, you literally ...

> My uncle was permanently drunk from his early teens to his sad early end and still managed to fit in an unrealistically successful career in rocket science - software programming for ballistic missiles.

In a galaxy long ago, I was housesharing with someone who'd been writing software for the eurofighter - something to do with the avionics iirc, twenty-something years on. But he'd quit and was slowly working his way down the alcohol food chain - I don't think he was quite at the two-litre cider bottles yet but he wasn't far off. Equally, I'm not sure if he quit his job because he was an alcoholic, or if the job had pushed him in that direction.

Either way, an odd chap, especially when you factor in that he had the "charm" gene cranked to 11; he went out pretty much every night and came back with a different lady each time.

As a young and naive kid straight out of university, I missed most of the overtones. As a older and allegedly wiser person, I'm wishing there had been a way to help steer him away from this spiral...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon