Reply to post: Re: Historical Revisionism

Internet Society's Vint 'father of the 'net' Cerf dodges dot-org sell-off during public Q&A

Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Historical Revisionism

So RFC1591 from 1994, and Jon Postel. AKA he who must be obeyed, because generally he was right.

These are the

generic TLDs (EDU, COM, NET, ORG, GOV, MIL, and INT), and the two

letter country codes from ISO-3166.

That was then, and symptomatic of the Internet's US-centric approach. So gov, edu & mil being US government, education and military. A few years later, .com got hived off to Verisign, and a decision being that you needed to be a proper company to get a .com, ie send a letter head showing company name & registration number to get registered. Similar policy applied for .co.uk

Sometimes those 'rules' weren't strictly enforced. But one consequence was that for .you and .me*, we'd not be able to register a .com, leaving .org for odds & sodds and similar non-profits. A UK charity or US 501(c)(3) could theoretically be a .com, as in it's a distinct company per UK and US Title 26, but custom & practice was .com = Commercial and .org=non-profit.

That's pretty much how it's been perceived since 1994 till now.

Thinking about this some more, I suspect Arby.. I mean Abry's behind this. So they bought Donuts, who bought a lot of expensive .garbage. Brooks, the Ethos person who isn't ex-ICANN is ex-Abry, and apparently was a key mover behind the Donuts deal. I suspect that deal hasn't been good for Abry given the outlay for noveau-TLDs vs actual demand for those TLDs. So adding .org to the portfolio would provide a pretty much guaranteed revenue stream and a way for Abry to cash out, along with the other ICANN/ISOC insiders.

One potential fly in the oinkment is if regulators decide that the way this sale has been conducted isn't exactly in line with fiduciary responsibilities of a 501(c)(3) entity, which could mean fines and/or jail time for execs & trustees. It may just raise eyebrows with the IRS.. Or may not. I think it'd be hard post-acquisition to justify keeping 501(c)(3) status, so would lose tax exemptions. Then again, it's not exactly difficult to shunt profits off-shore to dodge any US tax liabilities.

(And another thing I've found is prospects for good netizenship. Some of Abry (and one of Ethos's) other investments are in the ad-slinging and analytics sphere.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020