Reply to post:

Bose customers beg for firmware ceasefire after headphones fall victim to another crap update

DuncanLarge Silver badge

> But the noise cancelling isn't just a simple wave inversion, you also need to take into account the structure of the headphone and what sound the enclosure will cancel out and attenuate itself. But ignoring that there are multiple modes available. One being cancel noise but allow speech to pass through / amplify.

Yes that is true however I decided to leave that out of my reply.

The firmware update may have also updated the algorithms understanding of how the headphone structure changes the outside sound. The issue I see is, the structure can not be guaranteed the same between all headphones as nothing is made the same way twice. Perhaps one batch used plastic pellets not heated correctly due to a trainee worker getting the settings wrong thus the plastic is thinner etc.

Either way the general understanding of the structure should have been implemented before the headphones went on sale, so I doubt that a firmware update would be needed just for this, ulness it was for specific batches they could identify when applying the patch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon