Reply to post:

Weird flex but OK... Motorola's comeback is a $1,500 Razr flip-phone with folding 6.2" screen

I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The thing that made the orginal RAZR ergonically great is probably lost to the yoof of today. What it did was to mimic a landline handset, in that it could be really long (by folding) and so reached all the way from ear to mouth. So the speaker was by your ear, and the mic by your gob. Rather than the horrible short mobiles of the time that had omni-directional mics out past your cheek, so all the people you were talking to could hear was the street noise around you. I can remember having to cover the end of my phone when talking to people in the 90s.

I think better mics, and some noise reducing computery goodness, have vastly improved this. So now it's mostly when you're talking to someone in high wind that you get unacceptable amounts of noise.

Plus fewer people have landlines at home, and those that do mostly have DECT handsets that are also too short to reach your mouth properly. So it's only office phones that are the old traditional shape.

I still think the RAZR form factor was perfect, but I wonder if as many people would agree now - as did then? It's still my favourite phone, despite the software being pants, and the built-in WAP hotkey (that couldn't be disabled) right next to the key for picking up calls - so you had to pay quite a few accidental WAP data downloads. Typically the only time I tried to use WAP in anger, to find an address for a lady on the train in London, it didn't work...

But that was also about the sleekness of the design, and that shiny metal keyboard. I'm not sure it works as well with this thickness - and the fact that you're shoving a screen against your cheek - which no matter how long I've owned a smartphone - I still haven't got used to. And still, when I pull the phone away from my cheek a little in-call, it often hangs it up when I put it back again, as it's activated the screen again.

I want the old RAZR back, but with the ability to do email and satnav, and checking basic things like bus times online - then throwing WiFi to a tablet for anything more. But then what's the point of a number pad on Android? So I think that's probably partly nostalgia. And the fact that my sight is so poor, that any long browsing is much better on a tablet, whereas people with normal sight are probably just as happy with a 6" screen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020