Reply to post: Re: The law of Unintended Consequences applies....

Section 230 supporters turn on it, its critics rely on it. Up is down, black is white in the crazy world of US law

Peter2 Silver badge

Re: The law of Unintended Consequences applies....

Part of the problem is, quite honestly, I believe lawyers.

From a British perspective, I don't honestly think that's true. Quite honestly, I think that your problem is your courts, not the lawyers.

People have tried to throw USA style spurious cases in the UK before. They get advised not to, and then do it anyway. The courts then give the people who bought the case a really good kicking by ruling that no case exists to answer, and forcing the people bringing the case to pay their lawyers costs, the courts sitting costs, their opponents lawyers costs, compensation for wasting the time of their opponents and labeling the case "vexatious", which if done repeatedly means that you can get barred from using the legal system in the UK without permission.

The result is very few frivolous civil cases. And there are even fewer people trying to use the criminal justice system against their competitors; I think that's been tried once. The result was even more nasty; they had more of a library thrown at them than a book.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020