Reply to post: Re: This is me

Gas-guzzling Americans continue to shun electric vehicles as sales fail to bother US car market

JohnFen

Re: This is me

"Not all people have the same needs."

I never claimed otherwise. I was expressing what works for me. I was not asserting that it works for everybody. That said...

"If your annual 'vehicle needed' travel distance is 20,000 km/year (standard average driving distance for insurance estimates), divided over an average 1000 trips/year the taxi fare would come to $44,000, with no allowance for waiting time charges"

This is an erroneous way of computing things. My travel distance needs are not much different that the standard average, but I'm able to do the vast majority of that travel without a car. The "standard average" stat does not, all by itself, imply anything about the feasibility of being carless.

If you can't go without a car, that's fine. I'm not taking some sort of "nobody should drive" stance at all. However, for most people that I've personally known in my lifetime so far, going without a car is entirely feasible, and the statistics about standard trip length strongly imply that this is true for most people in the US.

Whether or not they'd want to actually do that is a different question, and that's one that everyone decides for themselves. I'm not going to say there's a universal right answer on this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon