Reply to post: Re: "no requirement of 'registration' for deactivated firearms" (@ John Robson)

UK Home Office: We will register thousands of deactivated firearms with no database

Mephistro Silver badge

Re: "no requirement of 'registration' for deactivated firearms" (@ John Robson)

"Probably because 'deactivated' is potentially reversible."

That was my first thought when I read the article, but then I remembered those cases of criminal organizations "reactivating" deactivated weapons, something that has been very common in the last few years. One of the groups was based in my region and another in a neighbouring one with several more cases from the rest of the country, and this was just in Spain. I've read a few examples more from different countries in Europe, but I guess most of these news don't make it to the "international.news" newspapers section.

The trick here is that those illegally reactivated arms also get their serial numbers erased and often their barrels re-threaded, making the weapon de facto unidentifiable.

So, IMO, this database will be quite useless. Which makes the UK law equally useless, which in turn makes the EU directive useless. Sigh...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020