Reply to post: Re: "implemented corrective actions"

Controversies aren't Boeing away for aircraft maker amid claims of faulty oxygen systems and wobbling wings

martinusher Silver badge

Re: "implemented corrective actions"

>If I were the CEO of a company with union workers....

Boeing has been implementing a policy of outsourcing for some years now. The old school method of building planes with an integrated factory full of unionized workers is yesterday's way of doing things.

Some years ago my daughter spent a summer working in one of their plants in Seattle (a 737 plant) as part of her Aeronautical Engineering degree. What she reported to me was that workforce was 'hollowed out', it consisted of a mixture of entry level hires and older people close to retirement, many working under contract. This mirrored my experience with engineering in my own field; somehow we lost the plot and engineering became an expendable job resulting in people choosing other fields and leaving us chronically short of engineers, especially experienced ones. Companies both covered up the problem and compounded it by a ruthless program of outsourcing. I have no idea how well covered Boeing is today but I'm never happy when flying in one of their newer planes these days.

(...and no, Boeing wasn't hiring. No need for anyone with (in UK parlance) a First. She got a job elsewhere.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon