Reply to post: Re: Jaywalking ...

Remember the Uber self-driving car that killed a woman crossing the street? The AI had no clue about jaywalkers

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Jaywalking ...

I believe there are laws in Germany, Netherlands etc which allow the police to levy a token fine if you cross the road near a designed pedestrian crossing or ignore the red man at such a crossing. However I think they are laws that are mostly ignored unless someone is acting like a total dick and/or the cops feel they deserve some harassment.

The one thing that I believe is consistent in all civilized countries is that the driver of a vehicle has a duty to direct it with due care and attention and avoid injuring or killing people wherever possible. Simply mowing down someone crossing a well-lit, lightly trafficked road is not on regardless of whether were using an approved crossing or 'jaywalking'.

Given how litigious the US is I find it rather astonishing that even a cluster of cocks like Uber have basically programmed a car with the assumption that it's A-O K to kill anyone not using a pedestrian crossing visible to and recognizable by their "AI". Even ten seconds thought will come up with a number of ways that can go wrong even if the pedestrian is actually using a legal crossing, never mind what happens in places where there are no crossings for a dozen miles, etc, etc etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon