Reply to post: Re: This is inevitable

Heads up from Internet of S*!# land: Best Buy's Insignia 'smart' home gear will become very dumb this Wednesday

vincent himpe

Re: This is inevitable

i have an old Daewoo dvd player i bought at Sams club in the year 2001. It has a hard mechnical ppower switch ( none of that 'standby' business ) and uses a real transformer (none fo that switching mode power supply crap). Between -click- of the power button ,splash screen and disc playing it takes all of 3 seconds. The entire firmware resides in a 128Kbyte rom.

The latest and greatest bluray takes 25 seconds to chew on the same dvd disc before you get the disc startup. That is, if there are no 'mandatory' firmware updates inbetween.

I have the bluray around for some movies that are not available on streaming. Once i find those i will retire the player, take it out back behind the shed and use 'lucille' on it. Its remains will be doused in gasoline, set on fire. What remains will be entombed in a cubic foot of cement and buried 6 feet down after which an oak tree will be planted on top of that. A sign will say : here lies the biggest crap idea ever conceived.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon