Reply to post: Re: An innocent man

Move along, nothing to see here: Auditors say £100k grant to Hacker House was 'appropriate'

JetSetJim
Holmes

Re: An innocent man

Agreed - I still can't understand just what that £53m was spent on. My version of a simplified project:

Project scope: vague design idea of a bridge across the Thames that has dirt on it, not tarmac

Step 1: work out where in London it might be useful (foot traffic analysis - ask TfL, maybe spaff £100-200k max?)

Step 2: work out where in London it might be possible (correlate Land Registry ownership records for either bank of the Thames, assume a nominal "land depth" - also look at what size boat traffic needs to be able to go under it at different points, and soil composition to grade difficulty of construction - maybe another £200k)

Step 3: Are any points in step 2 close to step 1 points? If no, give up, or consider converting one of the existing bridges (i.e. give up as they're probably congested enough) If yes, get proper construction estimates based on no specific design (i.e. brief is "build a bridge with load X tons from A to B - will have trees on it, so make sure construction is such that root damage is impossible")

Step 4: Take largest estimate, £Y. If (2xY)< budget, proceed with more detailed analysis, else give up

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon