Reply to post: Re: Power required

Boffins blow hot and cold over li-ion battery that can cut leccy car recharging to '10 mins'

Arisia

Re: Power required

Petrol cars have a max efficiency of 20-35%. i.e. a BEV is 3-5x as efficient as ICE using TOE.

Those who can, are going to charge at home. About 50-60% I believe. I do at least 90% of my usage as that.

That leaves a rump of the rest who are going long distance or don't have access to lower speed charging (no off road parking etc). Even relatively long distance, you start with a full charge so you only need the extra to get you there (+buffer).

In reality chargers will pop up in every car park (especially including work ones), supermarkets, multi-stories etc so suddenly even most of the the people don't have offroad parking won't need rapid charging most of the time. So suddenly the infrastructure required - though still significant - is a lot smaller than you state.

https://theenergyst.com/aurora-electric-vehicles-wont-break-power-grid/

I find it immensely frustrating that people assume that you would "fuel" an EV in an identical manner to an ICE. Stuck in a mindset of what they know. YMMV/statistics/damned lies/etc

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon