Reply to post: Limited power electric kettles

Delayed, over-budget smart meters will be helpful – when Blighty enters 'Star Trek phase'

Electronics'R'Us
Thumb Up

Limited power electric kettles

Ah - some actual science. This rather makes a mockery of the (hopefully defunct) EU proposal to limit the power in an electric kettle which due to thermal losses would actually use more power.

Speaking of kettles, when I moved here I inherited an oil fired Rayburn which, quite apart from being a cooker heats the hot water tank when it is on (I only turned it off this year for servicing as it never really got warm enough to completely shut it off) so no electricity used for that; it also doubles as an effective iron for tablecloths and napkins placed on top to the hot plate covers and even runs the towel warmer in the bathroom quite apart from meaning the kitchen isn't like an ice cube first thing in the morning in winter.

I simply fill the kettle and put it on the hottest plate; it does take a bit of time to boil, but the total difference in oil use is so tiny it can't really be measured.

I do have a lot of electrical appliances, but at least I am not at the mercy of spot pricing for hot water or even cooking.

The location of my existing meter rather precludes a smart meter anyway (I don't like equipment that is just smart enough to be stupid anyway).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon