Reply to post: What was that you said?

Delayed, over-budget smart meters will be helpful – when Blighty enters 'Star Trek phase'

DuncanLarge Silver badge

What was that you said?

"Those who stuck with "relic meters" risked "very high" maintenance costs, he said."

BS, my "relic" meter is only about 10 years old, new compared to others I have had and like the older ones HAD NO ANNUAL MAINTENANCE REQUIRED.

I have never hand anyone, in all my life, perform maintenance on a meter.

Working in IT I can almost guarantee the maintenance cost that consumers will pay for the new smart meters that end up charging the wrong amount, getting hacked by the Norks, needing firmware updates to support the latest version of whatever runs the hub they all talk to etc.

Oh and what about the poor sods who end up with a smart meter taht because a dumb meter because IT CANT GET SIGNAL? Are these people going to have to be punished too? They will have to submit meter readings like us relic meter users so will appear no different to us.

Already I'm finding I cant change deals and save money because "I must have a smart meter" to get even just a standard fixed rate deal. Offgem, where art thou?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon