Reply to post: Re: Immoral fuckers!

Your kids will be glad a UK government-funded robot will be changing your nappy and not them

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Immoral fuckers!

> BTW, I've no problem at all with mechanical aids being available as adjuncts/extensions to human care, but as a substitute? No!

As the IF AC above I assumed that robots able to do anything significant on their own without humans present are so far in the future that it wasn't worth considering. My response was entirely around robots that help carers with the heavy, awkward work under supervision. These are still 10 years away from being available; 20 years away from being common.

There are more specific use-cases that could come sooner: a robot dog that allowed a dementia patient who is otherwise healthy to go for a walk but then lead them back at meal times, or before it gets dark would be feasible sooner.

Personally, I welcome the idea of a robot helping me because I don't want to burden someone else. That doesn't mean I don't want any contact with humans - just a delay before the indignities of old age become totally unavoidable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon