Reply to post: Wow

Not LibreOffice too? Beloved open-source suite latest to fall victim to the curse of Catalina

DuncanLarge Silver badge

Wow

So Apple have gone full Trusted Computing style on their users?

I can see how its "will help" security but thats like fitting training wheels to everyones bikes to "improve" safety. It does improve safety but at the expense of the users ability to use the bike.

Apple now basically tell you what you can and cant run on your no longer general purpose computer. Shhh, kid in the back asking "whats a computer?".

The "dialogue fatigue" that users may get reminds me of the exact same thing that happened way back when Vista came out. Microsoft learned many lessons back then and now executables that are not signed simply tell you so and give you the option to run them or not. Next time you run the executable you get that message again, annoying yes but not like what I've heard Apple is doing.

I can imagine the stories we will hear of the certificates being lost, allowing all sorts of malware to be approved, or perhaps a bug in an update actually lets the exe run even when you select to move it to the bin. Or even the certificate chain gets borked for something like Sony Vegas or something preventing many ordinary youtubers from editing their videos.

WIll this result in a mass exodus to systems that allow you to do what you want with your computer?

I doubt it will considering the hold Apple has on its fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgFbqSYdNK4

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon