Reply to post:

Not LibreOffice too? Beloved open-source suite latest to fall victim to the curse of Catalina

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I'm one of the people on the list for this bug, and from what I have seen so far I think it's time to throw this over the fence to Apple.

The devs did everything they're supposed to do, and the diagnostic tools that Apple made available all confirm it ought to work. But it doesn't. IMHO it's Apple's problem now.

As for Catalina, I am old enough to remember Windows Vista's *cough* "security" *cough* (although I think I'm not the only one who would want to rather forget it), and I fear that Apple has just done a Vista on itself.

What people need is ACTUAL security, not the appearance thereof, and what Catalina is doing is just silly and profoundly unstructured. Either Apple prepares an upgrade tool that states "hey, there are these difference, shall we walk through all of them now?" or ends up annoying people with all the permissions apps have to gain.

In addition, I would seriously want that setup to happen during INSTALLATION time of new applications, not have a permission failure halfway through use - I have seen this happen with tasks that are supposed to run in the background but failed because they had not gained the required permissions upfront to do so.

It's a shame - we had a good run with MacOS so far, but Catalina may end up being redubbed Catastrophic from a usability perspective. I'm on beta 2, and I am experiencing a profound lack of improvement on this.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon