Reply to post: Re: Yes please...

UK culture sec hints at replacing TV licence fee, defends encryption ban proposals and her boss in Hacker House inquiry

Danny 2

Re: Yes please...

Thankin' you, John Brown.

I would like to point out I was in the middle of a fight with my girlfriend, so I was all het up.

I also missed out part of the story. I honestly hadn't had a TV for years, a fact that made my IT colleagues ask me, "What century are you living in?" because I didn't know about Star Trek NG.

I was fixing a neighbours TV, and it was in pieces on my living room floor. The TV detectorist thugs said they'd seen it through my windows, so I explained I was just fixing it for a neighbour. They said I needed a licence for that, and I said I didn't because I wasn't going to turn it on, and didn't even have an aerial. "Well, how are you intending to check if it works?"

"That's a multimeter, that is an oscilloscope, this is an engineer. If you'd went to further education then you wouldn't be making a fool of yourself on my property"

I was totally in debt to my awful girlfriend who'd hyped me up. Her response was more succinct.

There are a lot of myths that keep people fearful and compliant. Off the top of my head, you don't have to register to vote. You don't have to attend jury duty. You don't have to pay local taxes. You don't have to pay the BBC tax. I don't feel I am above the law, more likely I'm below it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon