Reply to post: The concept is already flawed

Any finger will do? Samsung Galaxy S10 with a screen protector reportedly easy to fool

andy 103
Boffin

The concept is already flawed

That's very worrying but one explanation I can think of is this. On the video where they demonstrate the issue his wife first unlocks the phone. It's possible that there's a grease outline (not suggesting she has dirty hands, but you get the point!) which would affect it. So he is essentially pressing a copy of her fingerprint on to the sensor.

Of course that shouldn't work but I'd be interested to see what would happen if they either cleaned the screen protector or fitted another clean version of the same one between attempts. Pretty sure that would rule out whether it is what I've suggested.

It's alarming that people don't really understand that fingerprint or even facial recognition is simply the device saying "yes" or "no" to the question - is this the person we think it is? That yes or no is then passed to apps. People seem to think that's a problem with apps. When in fact it's all down to what answer the device gives to that question. Which can then go on to have a whole load of implications.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon