Reply to post: Re: "This is a very confused post"

Blood money is fine with us, says GitLab: Vetting non-evil customers is 'time consuming, potentially distracting'

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "This is a very confused post"

""Lobbying" gets a lot of stick, but it's not inherently a bad thing. Lobbying is simply what happens when a government asks people what effects certain decisions or policies may have on them. That seems to me like a pretty good idea."

I concede my point about lobbying was not well made - as long as lobbying is done in a manner that allows different views to be represented reasonably fairly and transparently it has a place.

Where lobbying tends to fall foul of fairness/transparency is when the resources on one side significantly skew the argument and there is insufficient transparency to see what has happened before decisions on laws and regulations are made . A recent example being the FCC's net neutrality/set top box cost investigations <link>https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/04/fake_neutrality_comments/</link>

For companies that go down a path or fair, transparent lobbying, I agree with your point. I'm not so sure corporate America fits that model and American politics certainly tends to favour those that make significant campaign donations which leads to the question of just how fair it is.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019