Reply to post: Racism

Robocop needs reboot, $200m for AI research, UK govt knowingly deployed racist passport system – plus more

Simon 15

Racism

Yes, I agree that the term 'racist' is being used far far too regularly and it's not just by the Register but pretty much all media for apparent shock value. The problem is that when we overuse such terms it actually devalues its true meaning. In my view for someone or something to be 'racist' there needs to be an intent to discriminate (the ism part), whereas in this example and many others it's just inaccuracy that is underlying problem. I'd even go as far to suggest that (not racist but will be attacked by those who can't think for themselves) non-Caucasian persons tend to have less variance in distinguishing features. For example 'black' people tend to have similar hair colour (black) and similar eye colour (black) whereas 'white' people tend to have a wider range of such distinguishing features. Once again this is a fact based on clearly observable differences, However, many people will struggle to accept this concept as they seem to have been fully conditioned to truly believe that there is no such thing as race and we are 'all the same' despite clear and profound differences. As an aside it's worth noting that any proposed research looking into such differences is immediately quashed with the entire academic community apparently preferring the path of ignorance over the matter and the public being too brainwashed to be able to think for themselves. It's another fact that Asian people have slightly bigger brains than Europeans or Africans but can you imagine the absolute shock and hysteria that would be caused if this were to be printed in a newspaper?

The big problem is that due to the media's fondness of the term we are apparently all now 'racist' as we show 'unconscious' bias (a complete BS term) to gravitate to groups of people who look broadly similar to use rather than those with a different skin colour, antennae, six legs or an exoskeleton. I'd suggest that such preferences are exactly that and can probably be more attributed to tens of thousands of years of evolution of independent populations rather than 'racism'. I find recent claims in the media that even dating is now 'racist' to be especially concerning in this regard as this pretty much makes *everyone* to be guilty of discrimination by only being attracted to people of their own ethnic group. In the same way am I homophobic not to be attracted to men? Species phobic not to be attracted to animals? Object phobic not to be attracted to garden machinery?

So dear media please stop using the term 'racist' where there is no actual intent to discriminate as this isn't racism but stupidity, inaccuracy, laziness or a combination thereof. Many thousands of years of the evolution of independent populations has also resulted in many differences that we need to acknowledge rather than ignore. We are *NOT* all the same and to suggest we are is, erm, racist....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon