Reply to post: Re: kind of makes sense, actually

The safest place to save your files is somewhere nobody will ever look

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: kind of makes sense, actually

First, I was talking about the mid-90s for the worst offences. Second, yeah, still get it to an extent - create a new file, click to save, at best the software now assumes you want to save in the same place you saved the last file. Use several bits of software, use several discs, partitions and a nested folder structure and you find yourself click-click-click-clicking to the same location half a dozen times. This is a pain for me because I tend to be working on two or three projects at the same time, each stored in a separate folder, and each requiring the use of several different applications.

Under RiscOS, open the filer window once. Everything else is just a drag-and-drop.

After the first save, yes, they're equivalent. Clicking "save" saves the file where you put it.

Or did you mean the mounting thing? I think it's a problem with NTFS discs under (in my case) OpenSuse / KDE. Linux native discs mount no problem, but NTFS discs (the machine is dual-boot) need an admin password and won't mount on boot. A bit like putting a USB stick in doesn't auto-mount.

If you have forgotten to pre-mount the disc you want, the file-save dialogue box very often doesn't even give you the option of mounting - I have to close the dialogue, go back to Dolphin, mount and try again. This is a problem because most of my working (project) files are on NTFS discs so that they are available in both Windows and Linux. I do keep some on a NAS which helps, but that's not really suitable when dealing with large video files.

If you have a way around this I'd be interested to know!

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon