Reply to post: Aldi drone blues

Criminalise British drone fliers, snarl MPs amid crackdown demands

Danny 2

Aldi drone blues

As activists we used to get buzzed by police drones (better than getting buzzed by police helicopters) and we used to speculate on how best to take them down. I see someone has just made an attack drone. My idea was to equip a drone with a jamming device, fly it close to the police drone and then jam it, but expensive drones just head home.

I'm not an activist now but I bought a £50 drone from Aldi just to try it out and test it. It is a rubbish toy but it allowed me to (illegally) run dental floss from my flat to the flat across the street, which could be used to run cables across chasms. It is rubbish though, and not just because of the silly laws. You have to calibrate the control each time you use it, and by the time you do that it is twenty metres away because the wind blows. I now use dental floss as an anchor because most of the footage I've got from it, on it's SD card or on my phone, is me chasing after it over fields.

So far I've found three uses for a cheap drone. Running cables; a really great fan for summer; scaring mice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon