Reply to post: Re: Built-in-obsolescence

HP to hike upfront price of printer hardware as ink biz growth runs dry

eldakka Silver badge

Re: Built-in-obsolescence

I buy old office/workgroup printers from local auctions every ~5 years.

These beasties, when new, often cost $5k-8k, and typically use 15k-25k page toner cartridges. But at auction I can get a 5ish year old one, with 50% to sometimes 90% toner left in the ~15k-25k page cartridge for around $400.

Even though at this point its 5 years old, it's still far superior in capabilities to any current model new 'consumer' laser printer in the $400-$1k price range.

When the toner cartridge it came with runs out, usually in the ~5 years or so range with my printing needs, dispose of it and buy a new (well, old) one from another auction.

Even if I do decide to buy toner for it if the drum etc. are still in good condition, being an 'office' high volume printer, their toner tends to be much cheaper on a per-page basis than consumer printers. Often a consumer printer toner cartridge will be $100 for 2.5k-4k or so pages, whereas these office printers tend to be $200 for 15k-20k page cartridges, enough for several years at my need level.

The downside is they are usually physically large, so you aren't - generally - going to sit one on the corner of your computer desk. But they all come with standard LAN connectivity, so they can be put anywhere convenient you can run a LAN cable to.

I once bought for a friend an A3 floor-standing laser colour printer/photocopier/scanner, with 50-70% in all the 10k-page colour cartridges and the 20k black cartridge and a stapler finisher for $500 (I would have snaffled it for myself, but the damn thing weighed 120kg and I lived in an apartment up a flight of stairs) at an ex-government equipment auction.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019