Reply to post: Re: Watch your back

Here we go again: US govt tells Facebook to kill end-to-end encryption for the sake of the children

Loyal Commenter Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Watch your back

I use it, and so far, so good....

You're side-loading apks you randomly downloaded off teh interwebz and so far, so good...

If your reason for doing so is to increase your personal security, I'll just take the opportunity to ask whether you compiled it from source yourself, after carefully reviewing that source, understanding it, and then guaranteeing that your tool chain is exploit-free (which, famously, is very, very difficult to do without acting on faith at some point).

I know, that's taking things to the logical extreme, but the point I am allusing to, is that if you're side-loading something on the grounds that it's more secure, because "some crap has been taken out", you really can't guarantee that some other crap hasn't been put in, at some point, by actors unknown, and unless you are absolutely scrupulous in black-box testing it, you'll never know if, for instance, that app is 'phoning back to those unknown actors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon