Reply to post: hmmph

Linky revisited: How the evil French smart meter escaped Hell to taunt me

Alistair Silver badge
Windows

hmmph

Over leftside of the pond, I've gas, water and electric meters in the house. The electric has always been PL remote reporting (I've been here 9 years now) and whilst there was a month when weird crap happened (apparently you *can* get two devices with the same UUID from the same manufacturer) it is fairly accurate and the one time there was a severe screwup the fellow at the municipal utility that I chatted with (i.e. first line support on the call line) actually lives two blocks from me and had more than one clue in hand. The gas meter, they have a couple older folks (one actually uses a fairly robust walker) who walk about the neighbourhoods and wave what looks like a calculator on a gun handle at the front of the house as they walk by to get the reading. The water meter got changed out, and 6 months later got its 'remote reading' bolt on. Interestingly after they yanked the old one out, they apparently figured it damaged and handed me back about 40% of what I'd paid them up to that point. I don't read meters and don't have to answer doors.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019