Reply to post: Re: Job seekers sit in front of a laptop or mobile phone and complete an automated video interview

Computer says no: An expression-analysing AI has been picking out job candidates for Unilever

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Job seekers sit in front of a laptop or mobile phone and complete an automated video interview

Not me. I'm not going to meet the AI in the hallway and have a friendly chat when I'm working there. I'm never going to stop in the break room and compare views about the Sunday football games with the AI. No AI is going to make me feel comfortable during a video interview by asking about my trip to the office or the weather. I work with people and, dammit, people can interview me. It doesn't matter what Unilever -- or any other company using this crutch -- says. Video interviews analyzed by a computer are going to be just as biased as a face-to-face interview. Some person -- someone who has biases whether they want to admit it or not -- had to OK the selection of the criteria used to indicate "fit". What if that person is an arrogant a**hole and the resulting AI has a tendency to prefer arrogant a**holes and the candidates aren't arrogant a**holes. (Hire an H1-B, I guess. The AI couldn't find a suitable candidate.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019