Reply to post: Re: What really scares me

Four words from Cisco to strike fear into the most hardened techies: Guest account as root

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: What really scares me

"Cisco has abysmally bad security for decades now... on different product lines... with completely new implementations."

Compared to Cisco, Microsoft have significantly less variety across their product lines. Cisco list >820,000 line items in their current pricing spreadsheet. While a significant portion of that is hardware, the associated software may run across multiple product lines with very different intended uses.

Add in regular acquisitions of third party products (particularly management tools) and you have a lot of security issues that have minimal impact to large portions of the customer base.

For this particular vulnerability, I would suggest that the Cisco solution was developed in association with customers (it's basically a small router integrated with 3G/4G connectivity, wifi and an optional server for remote data collection/monitoring purposes) and the method used to provide connectivity between the router and the server didn't consider potential customer requirements to separate management roles.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019