Reply to post:

The D in Systemd is for Directories: Poettering says his creation will phone /home in future

Kiwi Silver badge

Er, you know the far side of the Andromeda galaxy? You'll find Ben Tasker's point somewhere over there, you missed it by that much.

You claim to work for a large organisation that can afford to have spares waiting around in large warehouses - but you completely miss that not every organisation can do that.

Mr Tasker used the example of Timor Leste, and made a note of suggesting you take note of the shipping schedules. When the boat is that rare, do you have any hint of a clue how precious, and expensive, cargo space is?

Not every place has the room to store spares - which do need a reasonable level of protection after all, from the elements, the animals, and the locals who find buying a little food a lot more important than any morals that would otherwise protect your stores.

I haven't worked on a "global scale" but I have worked on IT projects related to small island nations - nations where the nearest to an IT technician may be a few day's boat ride away - places where data is priced in the dollars-per-megabyte (though the infrastructure has much improved in the last few years).

For a lot of organisations, "spares on site" isn't even remotely feasible.

Well apparently the set-up I'm dealing with is considerably better than the one you're dealing with since where I work, there are solutions to ALL those issues already. If you bother to do your set-ups correctly from the start you're not going to end out with most these problems.

Nice to work for a large organisation that doesn't really care about a budget and just tosses money at any problem. Not every one has that sort of luxury. Lets see you build and run a server where your entire annual IT budget is - and I'm being quite generous here - $US1,000. That's all hardware, software, data and labour, for a full 12 months.

I've helped someone build stuff for a small nation with extremely limited resources, where you have to justify every pound of weight you're shipping and every cent you spend on hardware/software because if you go over weight, then something has to go on a later boat (which, BTW, might be another month away - or two if there's a storm/engine failure etc). There was considerable debate over using a 2.5" backup drive over a 3.5". The cheaper purchase price of the latter would be outweighed by the cost of transport, and we had to consider the generally greater reliability of the latter vs the lower power requirements of the former.

You should try working for people on a tight budget, it'll teach you a lot about your comments :)

You claim BT's comment is "not even remotely true", yet you clearly have no experience or even concept of some of these situations that other people live in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019