Reply to post: Re: The thick twat

Call-center scammer loses $9m appeal in stunning moment of poetic justice

Kiwi Silver badge

Re: The thick twat

What this will do is to send a message to others who might be tempted by easy money and follow in his footsteps.

Where that sadly fails is the thinking "But he got caught because he... If I don't make his mistake, I won't get caught, but I can do the rest of what he did!".

Look at the US's[1] high prison sentences, death penalties etc (including "shot by cops/security gaurds" executions) and yet they still have a fairly high crime rate. Clearly "deterrent sentences" don't work. Deterrent sentences never will work no matter how bad they are because "getting caught" almost never enters the mind.

Increase the fear of getting caught and you can better prevent crimes. Keep 'getting caught' unlikely, and you can have '50 years extreme torture' as a sentence and see little more than 'a statistical anomaly' in the crime figures.

[1] I use the US because they at least pretend towards being a decently civilised and just society, unlike other places where very minor things get you very long jail time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019