Reply to post:

Do you want fr-AI-s with that appy-meal? McDonald's gobbles machine-learning biz for human-free Drive Thrus

NicX

"According to your philosophy, all these people apparently fucked up their lives and deserve nothing but miserable penury for their moral failings."

Except I didn't mention anything about those people. I am specifically referring to fast food employees demanding $15 an hour. It's no secret fast food jobs are meant to be starter jobs or something to do while you're in school. They aren't meant to provide a living wage. That's just how it is.

You do not deserve $15 an hour to make hamburgers and tacos.

"Why then am I paid so much more than the cleaners without whom the whole office would descent in to squalor within days?"

Simple. You're educated. You are a professional. You are not a dime-a-dozen employee. Finding someone with your skillset is much more difficult than finding someone who can wipe up a mess. Don't get me wrong, service workers are appreciated. But do you, with (assuming here) certs and maybe even a degree, really think it would be fair to see a cleaner paid the same as you, a software engineer? I don't think so.

" I can't imagine having the sheer brass balls to lecture ANYONE who has a full time job on how they don't deserve to be able to have a roof over their heads or food on their table."

Well, considering you think you and the cleaner should be paid the same rate, that doesn't surprise me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019