Reply to post: Re: 350kW!!!!

700km on a single charge: Mercedes says it's in it for the long run

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: 350kW!!!!

I got rid of gas hob and went to induction quite a few years ago, so I don't remember. Would definitely not willingly go back to gas

Have been forced to live with a glass-topped Halogen(?) style electric hob for the last 18 months. The touch controls are unresponsive if you have spilled anything or have wet hands but when the are not wet, they are so sensitive that I have seen a fly walk across them and turn a hotplate on. It takes ages to get any heat into the pan if you set it to a "simmer" setting at the outset (say I'm melting some butter) - you have to blast it with a minute of full power before reducing it, its heat doesn't spread beyond the confines of the "hotplate" so my large frying pan has warped, it's not possible to pick the pan up to (say) spread things around because you lose all connection with the heat (I imagine this'd be even worse with an induction hob) and it shuts itself off for no apparent reason sometimes in the middle of cooking.

Induction hobs sound great, but like "wireless chargers" they will lose energy in the coupling, so they are not 100% efficient as some people claim, and many of my pans will not be compatible anyway.

As soon as we get a chance we're moving back to gas which still - kWh for kWh - is somewhere between a quarter and a third the price of electricity and gives a much better cooking experience.

There must be a reason why commercial kitchens - even on ships and trains where you'd have thought electricity would be safer - are almost exclusively gas.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon