Reply to post: Re: You think?

Wall Street analyst slashes HP Inc's share rating amid mounting worries over printer supplies declines

John 104

Re: You think?

I'm sorry, but anyone who is dumb enough to own an ink jet printer these days....

Color laser printers are readily available and very inexpensive. I've been using the same HP color laser for about 10 years and it still hums along and prints when I need it to. When I don't need it to, the toner doesn't 'dry up', rendering the printer useless. I think I paid around $250 for it. Yes, it is more than an ink jet up front, but cheaper in the long run. And if B&W is enough, my son just bought one for $109.

Check out this article. its $AU, but you get the idea. ink jet is over 3 times as expensive to operate vs toner. It's a no brainier.

People are too short sighted when they buy printers. "Look, this one is only $60!" of course it is cheap. the whole model is based on basically giving away the printer and upcharging on consumables.

As for HP not making it due to printer supplies. Well, if you didn't charge so much for the product and have so little in the cartridges, maybe you'd do better. Same with toner. I never buy HP branded stuff because it costs 3x as much as the compatible cartridges available from the myriad of suppliers. If they prices were close, say within $5-$10, I'd go with the name brand. But corporations are greedy and stupid when it comes to these things. In this day and age, brand loyalty is gone. If it works and is cheap, that's what people go for. Doesn't take an MBA in business to figure this out...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon