Reply to post: Re: Its about time....

The gig (economy) is up: New California law upgrades Lyft, Uber, other app serfs to staff

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Its about time....

I've spent most of the last three decades effectively working as an "independent consultant" in the IT world, but about halfway through that the company I was doing most (but not all) of my work with decided that running lots of one person suppliers was a drag and decided to work with suppliers who could keep a whole area going, rather than individuals. It was hinted to me but some people there that they wanted to carry on working with me and a number of my friends and that either we should all go and find a consulting firm to work for and then come back as a block, or that I should form a company, which I duly did. All the paperwork now has to go through me but I basically pay my friends what they earn less a small amount to cover some of the costs of the an administrator/paperwork/banking/insurance/accountants etc... it doesn't cover my costs, but hey we've all got work we wouldn't have had otherwise (so, think commune rather than company). I'm not based in California, but I wonder how some regs like this would affect my situation. The article suggests that the employment costs are 20-30%, I don't take anything like those fees. The whole business model we operate as a group wouldn't work and we'd all be out of a job - unless we could pass the liability on up the chain to the companies we consult for,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon