Reply to post: Re: When I were a lad ...

Stalking cheap Chinese GPS child trackers is as easy as 123... 456 – because that's the default password on 600k+ of these gizmos

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: When I were a lad ...

I'm not agreeing that the devices should be used, just that I can understand why they would be desirable. In reality unless they get prevalent, a ne-er-do-well will not realise they have a tracker on them and would probably not be able to send fake GPS locations unless the target was a high value.

However the bit about no-confidence to do xyz I just don't see and would need some reliable evidence for that. I'm pretty sure 18yo are far more likely to holiday or go travelling by themselves much more than I was or my parents generation were. There seems to be no obvious decrease in appetite for risk amongst teenagers from what I can see, so would like to know the evidence. The food related illnesses is far more likely to do with the availability of fast food, processed food and sugar rich foods than people putting trackers on their kids.

This idea that "when I were a lad" ... "things were so much better" ... "the youth of today" etc. It's just generalism that has been stated ad-nauseum by the older generations for centuries. It is the thinking of Rees-Mogg. Kids nowadays have so much more opportunity and information available than when I was a youngster, and many of them take that and run with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon