Reply to post: Re: White hat botnet

Stalking cheap Chinese GPS child trackers is as easy as 123... 456 – because that's the default password on 600k+ of these gizmos

Kiwi
Pint

Re: White hat botnet

The only way this is likely to be taken seriously is a very visual demonstration of how much data is available

I've tried. Not with this, but with a all-singing all-dancing alarm/CCTV system. Showed the person how trivial it was to get in to and disable using a laptop out front of their property.

"But no burglar would ever think to try that", or objections to that effect.

No matter how much you educate the general population, you're still dealing with people with an average IQ. You're dealing with people who publish all their life details on farcebork etc, who tell everyone when they're away from home and how long for, who give everyone their pets names via social media, link to their parents and grandparents (esp on their mom's side) profiles, and act surprised when people know what should be 'private information' about them.

Do your best, I applaud your efforts and will be helping as best I can in my bit of the trench, but don't expect intelligent responses to this potentially grave threat. They can safely ignore you because it won't happen to them.

If you can save one child though, you're a bloody hero and it was worth the effort after all!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon