Reply to post: "parents who wish to use GPS gear to track their kids' whereabouts would be well-advised not to..."

Stalking cheap Chinese GPS child trackers is as easy as 123... 456 – because that's the default password on 600k+ of these gizmos

Kiwi
Paris Hilton

"parents who wish to use GPS gear to track their kids' whereabouts would be well-advised not to..."

"...parents who wish to use GPS gear to track their kids' whereabouts would be well-advised not to..." have kids in the first place.

Bad enough we have the mass giving away private info to whoever for whatever reasons that they're bring brought up with, but now to also have them carrying tracking devices[1] that also monitor their conversations?

Years back, based on my reading of the Bible, even before GPS was commonly used, I used to say stuff like this would come about and it'd be sold first to monitor crims then later to monitor kids. Used to get mocked (and no doubt will do again here, how can I claim the Bible said this 2,000 years ago before they had electricity??) but who's laughing now? Well, not me I'm afraid.

I hope this gets badly enough abused to scare people well away from this sort of thing, but sadly I also see wide-open WiFi cameras still get installed, alarm systems with terrible insecure base units and terrible insecure apps still get installed, people trust their homes to electronic locks with RFID or NFC-based "keys", and use those magnetic locks (with 200kg of force!) to "lock" their doors. I may weigh less than 80kg, but I wonder how much force I could generate if I took a run at your door. Probably even a sturdy kick. Of course, the WiFi camera shows me when you're not home, the crappy creapy app can help me confirm I'm jamming your outbound signals and turning off your mains switch - that magnet may have a battery backup but I wonder if it'll last the day while you're at work?

Anyway.. Point is I hope people get scared of these but I expect they'll ignore the warnings and lap them up. After all they're not aware that Mr Herbert down the road is listening in and even watching their kids through the thing (if it can hold photos I'm assuming it has a camera of some sort?), perhaps whispering ideas while the kid is asleep (dunno how effective that would be but if I was so inclined I'm sure I'd give it a try)

</YAAR>[2]

[1] Yes I know mobes can be used to track people, but few of us consider them as 'tracking devices', unlike a device designed for that sole purpose

[2] Yet Another Annoying Rant

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon