Reply to post: Re: It will be interesting when the 1st similar case happens in the UK what the police reaction is

Tesla Autopilot crash driver may have been eating a bagel at the time, was lucky not to get schmeared on road

Kiwi Silver badge

Re: It will be interesting when the 1st similar case happens in the UK what the police reaction is

the police attitude here is that there is no genuine reason to run into the back of another vehicle

There are 2 or 3 I can think of that are more forgiveable.

1) Some twat pulling in front of you and braking suddenly, or stopping suddenly after moving into your lane without sufficient warning

2) Someone with faulty brake lights, where by the time you realised how hard they were slowing down it was too late

3) Someone who rides their brakes a lot, again meaning that where you think they just have their foot resting on the brakes (and triggering the lights) they're actually slowing hard for some reason.

I've also heard rumours that in some countries there's a get-out-of-jail-free if the person does something silly, like stop in the middle of a major road without obvious reason.

In NZ it's also almost a strict-liability issue. If the front of your vehicle contacts the rear of the other vehicle, your'e at fault - almost even in cases where they reversed into you (I say 'almost' - I think innocent people have been charged over this).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019