Reply to post: Re: The biodiesel had 'gone-off' ...

Divert the power to the shields. 'I'm givin' her all she's got, Captain!'

Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: The biodiesel had 'gone-off' ...

"it was both too week to take a page through and so rough it would damage the printers."

I made myself spectacularly unpopular in one location by suggesting that the company invoice the repair/replacement costs of the printers and the replacement cost of the paper to the "green team"' budget - wiping them out for the rest of the financial year and as I put it, preventing them inflicting any more badly thought through carnage on anyone. As it happened the accountant happened to agree with me as she'd been particularly badly affected....

I fail to understand how absolutely abysmal quality and bloody expensive paper can be justified with "But it's GREEEEN" when a little research would show that the existing stuff is probably 30% recycled already (and paper can only go a couple of recycling cycles at most due to the fibres being chopped too short to be useful)

Postconsumer waste is so heavily cross-contaminated that any attempts to separate/recycle it generally use 10-100 times as much energy as was used to create it in the first place and apart from metals/glass, trying to recycle into the same things is a losing proposition anyway (why spend a pound and 20p of oil recycling a bottle containing 2p worth of oil when you can just used it as fuel?)

90% of "recycling" is greenwash, not saving the planet and it tends to happen at the cost of things which can actually make a difference - like using less paper in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon