Reply to post: Re: Why exactly is Perl any worse than Python?

Clutching at its Perl 6, developer community ponders language name with less baggage

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Why exactly is Perl any worse than Python?

So basically, in the context of your previous "why doesn't everybody just use C" comment, it would be difficult not to surmise that this particular hammer is the only item in your toolbox.

Different languages have their strengths and weaknesses and are more or less appropriate for different functions at different project stages, but let me tell you a little story.

Recently, I was at this client site and they were using this C++ programme to crunch some numbers. A programme that had been written by one of the guys over many weeks (during which time he was neglecting his actual job).

This guy left and nobody else had the foggiest idea how the programme worked. The thing wasn't quite finished and the guy had clearly been relying on a very strict set of assumptions for the thing to run at all, with lots of copying and manipulating data files all over across the place. It was a right mess (and of course, no source code).

So I grabbed the nearest computer and wrote a Python replacement, which actually did more and with nearly no assumptions as to how the data was organised, etc., so you pointed it in the general direction of the data and it figured things out. It took me a bit less than two hours.

And I had NEVER used Python before. This was literally my first Python script. I don't know why, I've always disliked Python; but that was the only tool that was readily available on this occasion.

So, if you're one of those who think that "your" programming language is "better" than somebody else's, please know that a bunch of us will think of you as a very unprofessional cretin we wouldn't want to work with.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019