Reply to post: You never know - Money mostly wins, sadly

Uber, Lyft and DoorDash put $30m apiece into ballot battle fund to kill gig-economy employee benefits

ma1010

You never know - Money mostly wins, sadly

I live in California and have for many years. I've seen some good ballot measures that would help people (no-fault insurance, for example) get defeated by big money (in the case of no-fault, it was the trial lawyers who put up many, many millions to keep their gravy train running).

I'm all for giving "gig economy" victims workers full benefits, and wouldn't mind paying a bit more for Lyft (I won't use Uber) or Doordash. I'd rather do that than see those folks screwed over. Voting down an idiotic "help the poor billionaires" law should be a no-brainer for the average voter. But all that money can buy a lot of lying ads for the megacorps, so it could go either way.

As for Governor Nuisance, he's an idiot, and will likely support the big money. He was crying about how horrible it would be if PG&E went bankrupt due to the Camp Fire (a disaster they were partly responsible for). Back in the 1940's, PG&E's equipment in Sacramento was condemned under Eminent Domain and bought by the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD), a non-profit. SMUD provides electrical power to the Capitol building where Governor Nuisance has his office as well as most of Sacramento County. They provide that power for around half of the rates PG&E charges. But I suppose it would be horrible if the big-money stockholders lost the potential for more profits off people. Certainly the governor thinks so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon